Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Radish/Turnip Chips




I promised Caitlin of Weathervane Farm that I'd post the recipe for some radish chips I made a few weeks ago and I've been seriously slacking on my end. So here it is. We've been getting healthy bunches of radishes and turnips in our weekly farm share lately, however, Jody and I have only ever had radishes in salads and were looking for something different. I found this technique for making chips and gave it a try. Personally I think that finishing these off in a dehydrator or something would make them perfect, or perhaps a little less oil than I've been using also as they come out either a little soft or burnt (I haven't hit that perfect happy medium yet). Despite my negativity about presentation these taste great! So perhaps someone can add a personal touch and perfect this tasty (and lower carbohydrate than potato) treat.

-Start by washing your radishes or turnips
-Slice into thin discs



-Either lightly brush olive oil onto a cookie sheet or spray with cooking spray
-Lay chips out on sheet and lightly coat top side with oil or spray



-Then sprinkle the chips with your favorite spices. For mine I used a "Meditteranean" combo of Garlic Salt, Oregano, Thyme, Salt, and some Basil that was mixed with the dish of olive oil I had nearby.



-Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
-Cook for 10 minutes
-Flip and bake for another 5-10 minutes (or sometimes more, this all depends on how thin and consistent you slice your chips. If you are slicing by hand, expect to check on the chips every couple of minutes to pick out the ones that are done first to avoid burning.

So that's how I do it. The short of it is:
-Slice turnips
-Coat with oil
-Add seasoning
-Bake 10 minutes each side on 375 degrees F.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Megan Fedders said...

Thank you for the perfect directions and recipe. I am trying to use up my farm share radishes and rutabegas and think these will tasty!